Pages

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Ornament with Patterned Paper

Patterned paper with real life picture quality on one side and patterned paper on the other side.  What's not to love, right?  Unfortunately, like I have heard so many of people say, I struggled with actually putting it to use, too.  I searched blogs and Pinterest and Instagram.  Nothing really stuck out to me.  Now don't get me wrong... I loved everything that I saw but I was on the hunt for something different!!  So, my very gorgeous new paper just sat there... Lonely.

Until... 

I received a challenge to turn a tiny treat box into a fun 3D project.  I already knew that one of my favorite things to do with these boxes is turn them into Christmas ornaments.  Since I have vowed this year to get a jump on the Christmas season and try to do a project a month dedicated to Christmas, why not...

Now mind you, Christmas ornaments don't always have to be Christmas themed.  So thinking outside the box, I decided to use some ocean looking paper that I had in my stash.

Here is the finished project:



All of the small squares measure 1 7/8 x 1 7/8.  That's just about a perfect size for this little box.  There are some seriously gorgeous papers...

How about that life preserver on the top?  Isn't that just so cute?   I punched a circle with the 1" circle punch then centered it inside the 1 1/4" circle punch.  I just tore small sections and wrapped it on each quarter section of the life preserver.  The great thing about washi tape (besides the obvious, that it's beautiful) is that it's repositionable!  So, if you don't get it right to begin with then just peel it off and do it again...  

To finish off the project, I punched a hole in the center of the top.  Then I cut a strip off of the width of some white jute ribbon, leaving me just a small section to feed through the hole.

Just one last little thing...  Pull a single strand from that leftover white jute ribbon that you just trimmed.  Turn your life preserver over and run some adhesive all along the back.  You could just put it in spots but trust me it will make your life so much easier and you won't struggle as much if you pretty much run it all the way around the back.  Ok, now you are going to stick one loose end of the ribbon strand to the back (where you ran the snail) then wind it loosely in and around the life preserver (making sure to catch it on the adhesive in the back each time you pass through)...  When you are satisfied with the results, trim the end and stick it into the adhesive.  Cut your dimensionals into pieces small enough that they won't show and slide your finished life preserver down over the jute ribbon hanger.  VOILA, your done!!

If you have any questions, please let me know...

Now go have a wonderful crafty day,
Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment